twitter
rss

In the last few months, I was stuck with little kiddos day in day out! A first timer in this field, I should say, it is hard!

Hard because of the following reasons:

1.        **  I set high expectations on them. I should right? To not treat them special, but just like any other regular kids… and this is where I do have the biggest concern! Treating them as regular kids automatically put them to the top of my bar – perform at 100% not 90% not 80% but strictly 100%! No Excuses! This sounds good right? No, not on my list. Why? Because I am mean, really mean! I will get into your system with my stern voice, I will suck your blood with my strictness and I will make you work with no mercy! No love, no care, no holds barred. Scary, right?

2.       ** I have not been in the field of teaching for three years, never taught in a resource class, and not with elementary kids with disabilities! I have been pampered sitting on my desk working on a computer, driving to schools and working with teachers or facilitating a meeting with parents but teach in elementary school?!

3.      **  I have to collaborate with other people who feel they know everything about the kids they don’t see all day! Well… I teach people what to do, right? So get into your place! Uh-oh!

Without seeing it happening, I have fallen in the resist – resent – revenge cycle. For months, I have not allowed anyone to tell me what to do. I covered my ears, hid in the dark, and locked my internal room! I blamed them all. I complained. I pointed fingers. 

I didn’t realize it was all me and the victims were no less, my little kiddos.

In the process, I have kept myself from enjoying and finding joy in what God has gifted me; the joy of being in the presence of the little kiddos. Now it is giving me goose bumps to remember Jesus and His words, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."  

God has a purpose. Given, I do not want this position; I just forced myself to want it! I could go on and on with all my excuses and it would still be no excuse… no reasons are excuses for how I am becoming.

I remember copying the picture of Pope Francis with his quote “The world tells us to seek success, power and money: God tells us to seek humility, service and love.” The whole time, I wanted to be successful, I tried all teaching strategies that will work best. I modified, deleted and changed structure –and although, I brought in little teeny successes from my little kiddos, it was all because of fear -- simply because I failed to change me. '

I have forgotten to be humble, to be of service and to love…

I thank God for allowing me to wake up and giving me another chance to find me in these little kiddos. I thank God for another chance to correct, to turn 180 degree and to find joy in the process. 

I have two more months with them, and I would like these last two months to be filled with happy learning, excitement and high expectations… with just and consideration. 

So help me God.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

See Some More Stories Here!